Wednesday 22 April 2009

it's about time...

Talk about feast or famine! I have been so busy I just haven’t had space to write my blog for ages........and now here’s a really long one. Well loads has happened so there’s lots to tell.

Since opening in October last year, Silver Lining Sewing Rooms has gone from strength to strength. I have been busier in the first seven months of trading than I could ever have imagined. It has been a wonderful and exciting rollercoaster ride. I have met so many lovely people and had the pleasure of working with them to make them feel great for their special day . I have carried out dozens and dozens of alterations from minor adjustments through to complete redesigning and reworking of gowns. I’ve had a great time designing and creating wedding gowns, bridesmaids, formal dresses, a wedding coat (of which I’m particularly proud), as well as numerous smaller but no less important garments.

Having listened to my valued customers’ needs and after running myself ragged trying to be in two places at once, I’m changing my opening hours. The shop will be open from 11 until 7 Tuesday to Friday, and Saturdays from 9 to 5. Many of you need to come for fittings in the evening, after your day’s work, or on a Saturday. This move means that I will have Mondays and early mornings to work without the interruption of drop-in customers or the demands of the telephone. Whilst I love being in the shop and discussing all your exciting ideas and fitting your garments to you, I really need this protected space to do the more detailed and intricate work of beading, etc., which demands all of my attention.

Silver Lining Sewing Rooms has seen other changes too, as I have taken on and experienced seamstress to help me keep on top of my workload. Her skill and ability are proving invaluable to me, freeing me up to concentrate on designing, cutting and all the intricate detailed work.

Another exciting development is working in collaboration with a local artist and seamstress. One strand of her work is hand making pieces in fine silver which are embellished with pearls and other semi-precious beads to create bridal jewellery, bridesmaids’ gifts and other pieces that may just take your fancy. The other aspect of her work is creating beautiful wedding and evening bags and wraps and stoles for your wedding or evening function. These she creates from luxurious fabrics, often ruffled with taffeta, tulle or silk organza. We have lovingly named these “truffles”. The range develops continually. Here is where the collaboration comes in... she can make any of her creations in the fabric of the bridal gown or prom dress to complete that extra special outfit. She works under her own label: Dreams in Indigo, but exclusively for Silver Lining Sewing Rooms. (Go to the link to learn the inspiration behind the label and to see some examples of her work.)

Just this week I have taken on someone to assist in the shop on Saturdays. She will be there to greet you, help you into your dress and help you browse through all the new lines available through Silver Lining Sewing Rooms. This will free me to give more time to the actual fitting of your gown and listening to your needs and wishes.

And as if all that isn’t enough, I have been designing and developing a whole collection of unusual and alternative wedding gowns and embroidered, beaded and embellished corsets for showing and selling at the Whitby Goth Weekend at the end of this month. These are made in deep, vibrant colours... dark teal, embellished with tulle and organza, rich amethyst with black pearls, and how about black satin, smothered in rich bright red poppies, each with a mass of black seed beads at its centre. Each wedding gown has bridesmaids, a wrap or bolero, bags, ties and cravats galore! All of these can be recreated in your colours, with masses of choice of decoration and themes. I am particularly delighted with the wide selection in both size and adornment of my range of black satin, sprung steel boned corsets. I have spent hours working on these and am getting rather excited about the forthcoming event. So, from 24th to 28th of this month you will find me in the leisure centre bazarre at Whitby. (Photo’s coming after Whitby so watch this space)

Both collections are available to view and to buy from Silver Lining Sewing Rooms from 1st May. Of course I am still giving lots of attention, time and energy to all the white, ivory, gold, cream and natural shades of a more traditional wedding.

I look forward to seeing you soon at Silver Lining Sewing Rooms. Just give me a call to make an appointment, and then I can be free to give you all of my attention.

:)

No comments: